Two days ago the Lord impressed upon my heart to read/study Malachi (meaning 'my messenger'). It is the last book in the Old Testament. I was shocked to discover it reads like a stern wake-up call for God's people:
1. Esau was 'hated' by God because he forfeited the privilege of his birthright...for a bowl of soup! He was ruled by his flesh, rather than the Spirit of God.
*In what ways am I ruled by the flesh???
2. "If I am a Master, where is my fear?" the Lord asks His people. They did not respect or revere Him.
*Do I conduct myself in a way that demonstrates a healthy fear of God?
3. The Lord 'despised' their offerings. Why? Because they were going through the motions, 'giving'...all the while continuing to live in sin. He said their offerings were 'polluted.' His name was dishonored because they were NOT giving their best!
*How's my heart? Are my offerings acceptable to God?
4. The Lord warns: "If you will not listen I will curse your blessings. Behold, I will rebuke your offspring and spread dung on your faces."
*He makes it clear that my children will suffer for my disobedience!
5. The people can't understand why God doesn't hear their prayers. The Lord tells them He is weary of their words because they called good evil and evil good!
*Have I compromised God's holy standard by condoning what He calls evil?
6. He says, "I the Lord do not change! Return to me and I will return to you!"
"Then those who feared the Lord spoke with one another. The Lord paid attention and heard them, and a Book of Remembrance was written before him of those who feared the Lord and esteemed His name. 'They shall be mine, says the Lord of hosts, in the day when I make up my treasured possession, and I will spare them as a man spares his son who serves him. then once more you shall see the distinction between the righteous and the wicked, between the one who serves God and one who does not serve Him."
May our names be written in His Book of Remembrance!
take care that you are not carried away with the error of lawless people
and lose your own stability.
IN THE GRACE AND KNOWLEDGE of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
To Him be the glory, both now and to the day of eternity. Amen."
(2 Peter 1:19, 3:17)
Soli Deo Gloria